Saturday, March 24, 2012

Homeschool vs School

I am not going to homeschool Dallas. I had been contemplating it but Cam and I both feel he needs the social - both interactions with other kids and with other adults - for a season. We may re-visit this decision later. The deciding factor (for me) was Dallas saying he wants to do school in a school, not at home with me.

Oh well, that doesn't stop me from homeschooling him all I can now.

Dallas and Chey are working on Handwritting Without Tears preschool curriculum. So far they are not doing any handwritting but they are getting use to coloring/drawing a lot more than they use to; gotta build up that finger dexterity and strength. We are liking it so far (they really love the wood pieces).

We also frequent the library where I get random science-y kids books that catch me eye. Sometimes I let Dallas choose from a few topics. I really should try getting a "unit" going because right now the subjects are super sporadic: volcanoes (complete with discussion of plate movement, the concept of pressure along with a baking soda and vinegar experiment, and that rock melts into lava), germs (how you get them and what your body does to fight them), how your body heals, skeletal system, animal/vegetable/mineral classification, mutually beneficial animal relationships, and tornadoes... Yes, I see a few "units" I could have made out of some of those. A little fore-sight could do wonders. I don't know how much information on any one topic Dallas could discuss now, but he is enjoying learning. Chelane picks up a topic or two once in a while.

We are also doing alphabet crafts. I found a book at the library that gave me the idea, I tweaked it a bit, and now the kiddles often ask to do the ABC's when I talk about doing "writing or crafts" (that is what we call school work around these parts).

Add in all the ideas I get from the free get-ready-for-kindergarten stuff I have gotten at registration and boy-oh-boy Dallas has some fun!

No comments: