We had bought a large pork loin from Costco (great place for nothing-added meats). I couldn't do our normal plum sauce - I wasn't ready to tackle that loso battle, plus we had no plums - so I looked for a recipe I had made years ago while we were staying with my in-laws.
I don't remember it being anything too exotic or special - just some pork chops cooked in orange juice and brown sugar - but it was tasty and low sodium. I found two similar ones - one with a tasty looking rub and the other with an exciting glaze. Cam looked them over and enthusiastically said, "Let's do a combination of both!"
Apparently we are feeling a bit more adventurous.
I frankensteined the recipes into a sweet/spicy/tangy and tender pork loin roast and Cam tried his hand at no-salt-added mashed potatoes. Both were a smashing success. Adults and kids all ate (and liked!) both.
Here is the recipe for your cooking pleasure (and so I can remember it!)
Spicy Orange Honey Glazed Pork Loin
Ingredients
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (~4lbs)
- 1t Mrs.Dash
- 1t powdered garlic
- 1/2t black pepper
- 1/4t white pepper
- 1/4t ground ginger
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2t molasses
- 1T ground cumin
- 1T chili powder
- 1T ground coriander
- 1 1/2t ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1T cornstarch
Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil.
- Trim excess fat off roast. Combined rub ingredients and rub all over pork. Set roast, fat side up, on rack and roast in preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- While the roast cooks, whisk together first nine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. In a small bowl or cup, mix cold water and cornstarch until smooth. Whisk into glaze mixture and bring glaze back to boil. Cook glaze, whisking, until desired thickness. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush roast with glaze, and bake fifteen minutes longer. Brush with glaze again, and bake for fifteen minutes or until a thermometer reads 145 degrees.
- Remove roast from oven and let rest ten minutes before slicing. Serve with glaze if desired.
Adapted from Taste of Home Orange-Glazed Pork Loin and Honey-Orange Glazed Pork Loin.
No comments:
Post a Comment