Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The English Language

Dallas has been going through a contrary phase for, well, ever. With his increasing verbal skills his protests to "Dallas please help me" have gone from "no" to "no mommy" to "no help me, mommy" (the "no help me, mommy" is him negating what I ask him to do... he isn't asking for me to help him instead).

This morning, before breakfast, we were cleaning up last night's mess (Dallas had a bit of a melt down on the way to bed last night, so not much cleaning got done). I asked Dallas to help me, par always, and got the, "No help me, mommy. No help me. No help... you. No help you, mommy."

At least he is using proper pronouns when he protests now...

Chelane, on the other hand, is a helper. She love to put things "in," many people mistake this for loving to clean-up, which she doesn't always want to do.

However yesterday, with Dallas being contrary, I asked him to put his blanket, which was out in the family room, on his bed. Dallas refused and walked away. Exasperated, I turned to Chelane and said, "Chelane can you go put Dallas' blanket on his bed?" and she did. I will admit I was not expecting it. This morning Chelane also put her binkie and stuffed Nemo fish back in her crib on the first request.

I am amazed at her receptive comprehension and of her willingness to obey. Please tell me this isn't just a phase.

2 comments:

Mindy Hales said...

It's probably just her personality to be helpful. For the most part Trevor still does what I ask him to...and when he doesn't all it takes is a 2 minute time out and then he does what I ask. haha!

Jen said...

I don't think it's a phase - Aislynne started "helping" at about the same age and it's stuck. With her, it seems to be in her personality to want things clean and orderly (she ALWAYS puts her shoes in their proper place and walks around closing doors/cupboards that have been left open by her sister - disorginzation really bothers her) and not so much a "helpful" trait, though(she's plenty obstinate and stubborn in other areas when it comes to helping.)