Saturday, March 13, 2010

Subbing

I have been noticing a trend with me and new jobs: I don't sleep well the night before. I have a hard time falling asleep, I just can't relax for whatever reason, and I usually wake up early the morning after. I figure I must suffer from anxiety, but only new jobs. I slept just fine the night before my wedding...

Five years ago I substituted in a high school for three weeks for a friend on maternity leave, right at the end of the school year. Yesterday I substituted for the first time since then, for a half day in a middle school.

The ladies in the front office were very helpful and encouraging (I told them it was my first time subbing in the Kent School District so I didn't know what to do, etc.) and the classes were not bad either.

Unfortunately (for me) the teacher made the day a work-on-one-assignment-until-you-are-done day so that meant I spent five minutes explaining the assignment (this was an English class, so the assignment was a writing prompt) and spent the rest of the 55 minute period telling them they were getting too loud or splitting people up. Not much teaching just a lot of classroom management.

Some fun notes: I had three students ask me if I was a model... I know it doesn't mean anything, but it sure makes for a good day!

Tuesday I am substituting for another half-day in a high school math class. I am trying to rake up the days since Cam doesn't have classes for the next two weeks so he is home to watch the kids.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I didn't know you were subbing! Are you going to try to get a permanent position sometime or is this just a supplement? Very cool... though not very cool that you just had to babysit for an hour.

Kassie said...

Kent school district went on strike at the beginning of the year because of mass lay-offs (and other things) due to budget-cuts. I don't know if Kent School district is hiring anytime soon, so right now I am doing this just to supplement my part-time tutoring gig.

Plus subbing looks good on a teaching resume, in lieu of a permanent teaching position.

Schools are starting to post up openings for next year and I am looking mostly in Utah around where Cam is planning on going to school (Ogden area). I have applied to a few jobs already, so keep your fingers crossed! I am going to start looking around here (and at universities around here Cam can transfer to).

Mary said...

NNNNOOOOooooOOOO! You're going to go back to Utah?! I had hoped you were back in Washington for good, though I am happy to hear that Cam is planning on going back to school. Is he going to Weber state or is there another school out there? Adam went to Weber for a while before he came out to Massachusetts.

Kassie said...

It would be Weber (more than likely) if we went down there. Still not 100% yet... I have learned in the last 2 years to not say we are doing something for sure, because I have no idea how it will really turn out!

We have also decided that we want to live somewhere more away from a big city. That doesn't mean Washington is out of the picture, but it will probably be somewhere a little more rural and less congested... again I really can't say anything for sure at this time!