Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It Is All Worth It

Have you ever heard something like, "Yeah so-and-so wanted to major in such-and-such, but I talked them out of it. It just doesn't make enough money."? Too many people shy away from what they are passionate in, in search of a more lucrative career.

And some people do just the opposite. I had been majoring in electrical engineering when I first started at BYU. After a year I changed to math education. I really like teaching and tutoring; and I loved math. Now-a-days I sometimes wonder why I did that. Ok, so the circuits class gave my panic attacks whenever I thought about re-taking it, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have gotten over it. And now instead of making money I am in a field that (in this area) recently rifted a chunk of their new employees due to budget cuts. Now I am tutoring on a fairly small hourly wage.

Often I don't have time to bemoan my fate, I am just having too much fun. I love going to a job where I often look at the clock and say, "Wow, I can't have been here for 3 hours already!" Or have the occasional student prefer to sit with me or even volunteer, "You are my favorite tutor." You never know how to take that from a student in elementary or secondary school. After comments like that, I have to re-evaluate myself: are they working harder with me than with any other tutor? am I challenging them enough? or do they like me because I am a push-over with them?

With adult students, it is different. I was tutoring someone back in December who was starting the 2nd part of calculus in January. He had taken the first part of calculus over four years ago and needed a crash-course refresher. After working with him the first day I was overwhelmed at all the calculus I didn't remember. I pulled out my old calculus book, and searched the internet re-learning many concepts so I could explain them to him. He was sharp and a hard worker. Unlike some high school students who bring the work to you without trying it on their own and expect you to give them all the answers; he had tried and brought very specific questions.

I only tutored him for a month, but I thought about him as his quarter progressed, hoping he was doing ok. The quarter ended last week and yesterday he came back to thank me for all I had done. He insisted he learned more from me in those few weeks than from his professor during the quarter. He appreciated my passion for math and teaching and that I was the reason he passed the course. I wished he could write me a letter of recommendation!

I guess teachers teach for moments like that. I may not be making lots of money, but I feel like I am making a difference.

4 comments:

Karma said...

Yeah, you're pretty much awesome. But, then again, I've known that for years.

Rachael said...

That's so cool.

lilibet said...

I may need to hire you to help me remember all the math I forgot so I can take the GREs! My husband is a math genius, so he doesn't understand my questions and talks WAY over my head, like I took the same math classes he did in college.

Vickie said...

Thought this quote was appropriate:

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. " ~ Helen Keller

You are awesome and a great teacher of all ages, especially me.