The words "hair cut" sends Dallas into a frenzy.
See, the game plan the first time I cut Dallas' hair (back before he turned one) was me holding him down while my sister ran the clippers over his head. There was lots of screaming and crying... and not just by Dallas... After that I cut his hair with scissors and it took a long time. So we started moving back to the clippers, but decided to have someone else do it. That didn't work so well either. Now he associated "hair cut" with pin-downed-while-a-vibrating-horror-moves-across-my-head.
Two days ago he got gum in his hair. He really likes to chew and normally he is very good with keeping the gum where it should be, just not that day. Luckily it was on the back of his neck so I just cut it out with scissors; but I decided to do the rest to match. Dallas screamed and cried when I said "hair cut" and strapped him into a booster seat in front of the TV. He cried when I sprayed his hair down. He kept crying as I started combing and cutting his hair.
By the time I finished the back of his head he had calmed down and had no problem with me finishing. He said "Mom all done!" in a very happy voice prematurely a half dozen times so he is obviously not completely OK with hair cutting, but I think I may be moving back to comb and scissor cuts to reduce the trauma on that poor boy...
2 comments:
oh man, i hear ya. i'm stressing out about haircuts again right now as we speak. walter never had any traumatic experiences like dallas did, we've only ever cut his hair once, and we did it with scissors so he didn't hear anything scary or anything. but it was still an ordeal with three adults holding him and comforting him and trying to keep his head even remotely still while my limber and agile dad would dart in and cut another piece of hair. in the end walter was a slobbering, sobbing mess and there were a few small pieces that got missed that we just left.
it's that time again. his hair is nice and LOOOOONG and i really want to get pictures taken for his 2nd birthday, but i'm having the worst time figuring out how to get his hair cut. blah. anyway, glad you got it figured out! (for a few months anyway)
I just wish I could cut his hair faster! lol
Post a Comment