Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Downpour

I have decided that Dallas will fit in fine in Washington.

On Sunday I picked him up from the church nursery after my class got out. Usually Cam is waiting there with me too (since we come from different classes) but this time he was no where to be seen. The three of us (since, of course I had Chelane with me in my class) walked to the coat rack where Cam had stowed the car seat. I buckled Chelane in while trying to convince Dallas that standing under the coat rack with me would be more fun than potentially getting himself lost in the sea of people currently inhabiting the hallway. Then trying to finangle the car seat and Dallas we took a lap around the church trying to figure out where Cam was (it was about this time that I realized I had NO idea where his class was...). I decided the car was the best place to wait for him. As I walked outside I realized why the hallways were staying so packed, it was DOWNPOURING.

Utah doesn't get too much rain, and when it does it doesn't tend to pour like this. This was Washington worthy pouring. This was you-are-soaked-completely-through-after-standing-in-it-for-five-minutes pouring. Of course living in Utah for five years (ok one of those years I was in Washington for the summer) I had stopped carrying a coat around with me or putting on layers; the weather isn't unpredictable (or bipolar) in Utah.

Luckily baby seats come with covers. I walked out the door and stood under the eve making sure I knew where the car was. Dallas decided to walk out from under the eve. I was expecting him to run back under after he got sprayed but he didn't. The kid sat in the rain and turned back to face me smiling and saying, "whoa." Well I took his hand and he made for the car. Once we got there I realized the car was locked and as I fished for my keys two young boys (5-10ish?) ran by. Of course running looked like much more fun than standing still by the car, so Dallas took off after them. I ignored the fact that Dallas left me (great mom I am) the parking lot was pretty empty and there were no cars moving around so I felt like he was safe, plus I was more worried about getting Chelane out of the rain; those car seat covers only cover so much of the car seat. Gratefully the mom of those two boys took Dallas' hand and walked him back towards me. By the time Dallas and I got into the car I was wet through and Dallas was slightly damp (this is where I dislike the difference between boy church clothes and girl church clothes).

Again this morning it started to sprinkle while Dallas was eating and looking out the window in his booster seat. Again there was pointing and "whoa." I think the kid will love Washington, he is definitely my child.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Aw, I love that he loves the rain! Nyah does, too - we got takeout from Red Robin last Saturday, and as we were leaving with our food it started pouring buckets. While I was dashing for the car (luckily we were parked right by the curb) trying to keep the food from getting soaked, Nyah stood completely still on the sidewalk, turned her face toward the sky and lifted her hands to catch the rain in her palms. I had to pick her up and carry her to the van myself; she wasn't budging.

Christine said...

Oh that's so cool. I love it when kids enjoy the rain...it reminds me of how "stuffy" I can get about things like that. My kids have been playing soccer in the rain for the last few weeks and I have had this tendency to complain about it - luckily I've stopped myself because it would probably feed negative ideas into them that aren't there and shouldn't be. I really could learn from that. :)