Monday, March 23, 2009

The Wound

Dallas' head cut has been healing up nicely. The stitches were removed last Friday (as in two Fridays ago... so I guess that isn't "last Friday", how about "a past Friday"?).

When I mentioned we would need to take Dallas back to the urgent care facility on Friday, Cam asked why we couldn't just remove them ourselves. Save a bill.

I had never heard of such a thing. It seemed very dangerous and crazy. Cam said they took them out at home all the time when he was a kid. Hmmm, so it has been done before... So I asked Mom and Dad (I am still check in with my parents about stuff like this, they know everything) and they weren't surprised. They concurred, as long as you are careful it shouldn't be a problem. Well, ok, shows how much I know.

So Cam and I took them out.

We soaked tweezers and cuticle scissors in hydrogen peroxide and got some cotton balls ready. I held Dallas, pinned in my arms, on the toliet seat, while Cam tried to cut the stitches out. He wasn't being very succesful. He got about half a stitch out (yeah I know you are confused about getting "half a stitch out"... it basically equates to not getting the stitch out but trying really hard). So we switched places.

I would look hard at the stitch in Dallas' head while counting "1, 2, 3" and quickly snip in the best place I found; then "1, 2, 3" and use the tweezers to pull the thread-stuff out. It worked really well. Counting before doing anything not only gave me ample time to study where I wanted to cut/grab, it also gave Dallas a warning that something was going to happen. Cam didn't have to hold him much at all.

The wound has since scabbed and been band-aided many times. Dallas doesn't leave it alone (he didn't leave it alone when the stitches were in either), but it is finally completely closed (I think) and the skin is working on making the scar. I think it will be a bad one since he played with it so much.

His cousin, however, doesn't even have her stitches out yet :(

2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, I sure have an issue with stitches. Even the word creeps me out and reading that gave me the willies. Seriously, how have I escaped them with 3 boys?

I'm glad Dallas is all healed up - you are very brave. I would NEVER have been able to do that, but then again you're not freaked out by a bit of string in skin. ewwww.....!

Jen said...

Au contraire - We removed Nyah's stitches last Friday (as in 4 days ago.) They were kind of pulling funny, the skin underneath was obviously healed and it was going to be a $50 deposit PLUS a copay to have them removed (because we STILL haven't gotten our new insurance cards yet) so I pulled out my handy dandy cuticle removers (which actually worked better than cuticle scissors) and went to work.

Glad to hear he's all healed up - he was looking good when we saw him last Thursday!